<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Wednesday, August 17, 2005
 
Superstition is one of the most mind-boggling things to me. In a society that has become so desensitized to the unknowable, we still live in fear of superstitions.

Checking my MySpace page, I find an insane number of bulletins every single day that promise me that if I pass the bulletin on I shall have good luck for x number of days, whereas if I dare break the chain, then bad luck/misfortune/death shall surely come my way (hey hey, hey hey hey).

Perhaps because I like to tempt fate, or perhaps because I don't even like to believe that fate operates through the World Wide Web, or perhaps because I don't even believe in fate at all, I break every single chain. Because I know the truth.

It baffles me what people are willing to believe. No, Bill Gates will not give you five dollars for every person you send an e-mail to, because there's no way for him to monitor that.

No, the "doctor" will not give ten cents to that little girl who is dying of "a disease known as CANCER" (I swear to god, that's word for word. As if there's someone out there who has never heard of this crazy new cancer that's sweeping the nation) every time you forward his message, because again, there's no way for him to figure that out.

The answer to that riddle will not magically appear on your screen when you close the message, no matter how curious you are and how many times you try it.

No, the seven-year-old ghost child with bad spelling and lack of shift key knowledge (it's hard to type when you're dead, apparently) is not going to kill you in the middle of the night with a knife, because the idea that a ghost is going to go on a mass killing spree by hacking into someone's computer is just...do I really need to use the list of adjectives that are coming to mind?

And it's not just Internet superstitions. Rabbits feet do jack shit (I'll even say jack rabbit shit). No one tells me "Break a leg" before a show. In fact, several co-workers say "Good luck," and I thank them kindly for it. My mother's back is perfectly fine despite my many years of crack-stepping (which sounds like a high-energy country-western dance).

We no longer live in the days where driving through dark, wooded areas in horse-drawn buggies and seeing wall shadows from the flickers of candlelight are everyday practices. And we have plenty of other real things to be scared of. So you know what I say? Embrace your fear! Break the chain! Break it right off! Believe me, when you break your first chain and your life continues at its normal, boring pace, it's a real feeling of liberation. You're free from being so gullible, so fearful of the unknowable mechanics of the Internet! Give it a try sometime.

FORWARD THISS TO AT LEEST FIVE PEEPLE ON THE NEXX TEN MINUTS AND YOU WIL BE SUPPER DOOPER RICH!!! IF YOU DO NOTT, THAN A GHOSTY CHILD WIL STEEL YUR MONEY, AND THAN KILL YOU, AND THAN YOU'L HAVE BAD LUKK!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger