<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Monday, June 13, 2005
 
Why is everyone so afraid that we're going to forget 9/11? Not since "Remember the Alamo" has there been such an overwhelming campaign for the memory of a tragedy. Every time I see a 9/11 bumper sticker, it says "We will never forget", "Always remember", "Don't forget", "I believe I have some sort of recollection", etc. Have you ever had to tell someone, "No, remember that day when the planes hit the buildings and Dan Rather interrupted 'The View'?" Has anyone ever said, "9/11? Oh, yeah, that was the day the Jamiroquai album came out, wasn't it?"

I saw a play last night where the central message was, "While 9/11 will someday be forgotten, we must try to keep the memory alive." What? 9/11 is going to be forgotten? By who? When was this decided? Try to find three more significant events that happened in the U.S.A. in the last 100 years (no, Watergate and the Kennedy assassination are not acceptable answers). I can assure you that we will forget about The Shot Heard Round the World, John Wilkes Booth and the War of 1812 long before we forget about 9/11.

So those of you who are fighting to make sure that we all remember what happened on that day, you can stop working so hard. Trust me, we won't forget any time soon.

And while I was unable to come up with any sort of unique insight on the situation, I felt I should point out the fact that I had the interesting experience recently of seeing a punk band that was actually pretty good performing in a church in front of a bunch of high school kids, who instead of dancing or moshing, just sat and nodded their heads to the truly rousing music. How far we've come from the days of The Sex Pistols.

P.S. This brief blog is dedicated to those whose eyes have been hurting by reading the novella length of my usual posts.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger