<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Thursday, March 31, 2005
 
I know that my complaints about actors have consumed perhaps too much space on this journal, but the amount of what a friend of mine called "Drama-Queen crap" that even the most humble of actors gives sickens me (and I'm going to go so far as to say "literally", since I am recovering from a cold).

Last night was the final dress rehearsal of "The Land Southward" (playing at the Hunger Artists Theater April 1st through April 24th...shameless plug). Now throughout this week (affectionately known as "tech week"), actors have been replaced, blocking has been refined, and the timing, order and placement of the one hundred-plus light cues has been toyed with several times. As such, our light board operator was not as quick with the cues as I'm sure she will be in performance.

However, one of the actors in the show felt it necessary to, while asking a question to the director, criticize her at length in front of the entire cast and crew. It was biting, insulting and unnecessary (and also surprising, since this actor is usually laid-back and should know better).

I have worked with this lighting person on two prior shows. One was "Madame Guignol's Hellhouse" (which, as a series of one-acts, required multiple light cues) and the other was "The Gog/Magog Project" (which had the most complex and difficult lighting cues of any show that I have ever been a part of). In neither project did she let me down, and I have complete confidence in her with this show. She is one of the hardest workers I have ever known.

Now, egos I can handle. Pretentiousness I can make fun of. But if there's one thing that drives me up the fucking wall, it's actors who are disrespectful to the tech crew of a show. As I constantly say (and should put backstage of every theater I work at), acting is just playing pretend. Even if you're working hard, you're working hard at pretending.

The tech crew, however, actually works. They are usually there before the actors, and usually leave afterward. They're building sets, hanging lights, making sure every costume and prop is in its place, and supervising the entire show. While us actors are sitting around joking and whining, they are working their asses off.

Fortunately, knowing the actor, I think they realized what they did. At least I hope so. We all have our moments of frustration, and I think that's all it was. I just don't appreciate when it's directed at someone who does not deserve it.

So go see "The Land Southward" if you want to see what I'm sure will be excellent light board operation.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger