Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Thursday, November 04, 2004
A joke for you...

Q: Why do Kerry voters live on the coasts?

A: It makes it easier to swim to another country.

So, as the sun rose on Thursday, John Kerry became a footnote in history, George W. Bush will be seen on our televisions for the next four years, Michael Moore - who sent several group e-mails of support and encouragement before and during Election Day - is M.I.A., an upside down American flag sticker is the newest addition to my car (as well as a California flag sticker. I love my blue, 55 electoral vote state), and we received the following statement from our "President" yesterday:

"America has spoken, and I'm humbled by the trust and the confidence of my fellow citizens."

He, of course, neglects to mention that only 52% of America's citizens have truly spoken. The other 48% were left screaming on the sidelines while the other players (who all lean to the right like people who haven't had enough V-8) took the field again.

So what do we do? According to our top politicians, we should stop being so divided, and unite with the victors. Bush said in his victory speech:

"To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust. A new term is a new opportunity to reach out to the whole nation. We have one country, one Constitution, and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

And Kerry, in his concession speech, also made mention of the great divide that is our nation:

"In the days ahead, we must find common cause. We must join in common effort, without remorse or recrimination, without anger or rancor. America is in need of unity and longing for a larger measure of compassion."

And his next sentence is very crucial to why our nation is divided in the first place:

"I hope President Bush will advance those values in the coming years."

This is where the division lies. Though I was never enthusiastic about Bush, I gave him my support for the first couple years of his administration. I remember telling my sister on 9/11 that I was actually glad Bush was our president, as I could picture him taking the bull (terrorism) by the horns (Bin Laden). I had the mental image (that was later stolen from my subconscious and put in that famous "This Land" cartoon on the Internet) of Bush pulling a Slim Pickens in "Dr. Strangelove", riding a bomb with cowboy hat in hand, whooping and hollering.

But then he betrayed me. He chased after another bull (Iraq), and either neglected or oppressed several other bulls in the process (economics, the job market, gay rights, environmentalism, free speech, etc.). He eschews intelligence for faith, which is not a way to run a country.

So here's the deal. I do not like a divided nation, and I want unity as much as the next man. But I will not unite with our President until I am given a reason to. I blindly followed him at one time, and I was horribly misled. His second term should be a period of understanding, honesty and rational thought.

Bush said, "I will do all I can do to deserve your trust." For a start, he can admit that the country is in a state of distress and that he has made a lot of mistakes (because, as anyone who has been through any sort of rehab will tell you, the first step toward progress is to admit that you have a problem), show that he cares about providing our troops with proper supplies and getting them out of Iraq as soon as possible, state that an alternative lifestyle is not a sin, stop pandering to the corporations and show more attention to the lower and middle classes, and resume the fight against Al-Qaeda.

Only then will he win back my support. But if he continues down the path that he paved during his first term, then I will continue to fight. Uniting with Bush in his current state is not only betraying my own beliefs, but is detrimental to the country that I love. I live in a democracy, and as such, I am given the right to speak my mind if I feel that something is wrong.

So to everyone else who is as disappointed as I am, I beg you not to give up the fight. Do not move to another country. If you love something, you do not turn your back on it. We must continue to fight for the virtues of America.

But, I was so looking forward to Canada. Arguing with the Bushites is the same as arguing Religion. People believe because they choose to believe. They want a strang leader. So what if he bases his foreign policy on the Book of Revelations? He's got conviction!
Sweet Christ, when did rationality become a liability in this culture!
And speaking of strength, Kerry fucked us! He rolled over like a little Bitch! I now hate him as much as Bush. Maybe more...
Would it had been so bad to fight. If the cause is just FIGHT!
Just my opinion...

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger