<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Thursday, July 29, 2004
 
This post is dedicate to Ms. Hoy who demanded (not asked, mind you, but demanded) that I make a new post. And since I find her adorable (something that, upon telling her, she replies with a heartwarming "Whatever"), I'm going to do so.

For those of you who read my last post, I would like to take this time to explain the proseness (which is now a word. I said so) of the passage, which is not something that I normally do. At the time of writing it, I was listening to a book-on-CD of David Sedaris' "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim". If you interested in reading a really funny collection of short stories about someone else's absurd family (which is the best way to escape from - and simultaneously embrace - the absurdities of your own), then definitely pick it up (after which you would hopefully open it and read the words).

Today is the test reading for the one-man show, just to make sure that I don't suck at it. "But Jeremy," you say (hopefully in a seductive voice with a twist of your shoulder) "I thought you were already cast in the show." Well, here's the thing. I am, but today is the moment where the director can back out of the deal if he so chooses. If he suddenly decides upon hearing me read the script, "Dude, this guy sucks!", he will say so and we shall depart ways, still on good terms, most likely.

"So Jeremy," you say (again seductive, again shoulder) "Aren't you nervous?" Well, I say (acting cool so as not to look interested. That's the way the ladies like 'em), not really. First off, he obviously wants me to be in the show, else he wouldn't have asked (Lord knows they have plenty of very talented actors there who could do the role just as well, if not better, than me). And I feel like I can do this show, otherwise the idea of a one-man show would have been to scary and pretentious-sounding for me to agree to.

Plus, this is much different from any audition I've been to in that there's no competition. Most auditions, to use a term from tenth-grade Honors English (and subsequently twelfth-grade Non-Honors English, a class that I'm still baffled I was put in) are "Man Vs. Man". With this one, however, the conflict is more of "Man Vs. Self". The only thing that will keep me from being in the show will be myself. So that's a stress reliever. Wish me luck!!!

In other news, I'm going to see a show tonight. This wouldn't be big news (What? Jeremy seeing theatre???), but I wanted to point out the title of the show, which is perhaps the greatest show title in the history of theatre: "Poona the Fuckdog and Other Stories For Children". It's written by Jeff Goode, whose "Marley's Ghost" at Circle X Theatre was very good (well, to be more specific, it - like most original productions in L.A. - was a merely decent script that had an awesome production). So it will be interesting to see how the writer of a family-friendly Christmas show (which took place at the Hollywood Forever cemetary. Really cool) can also write a vulgar sketch-comedy show for Rude Guerrilla (a theatre company which is notorious for displaying the words "This show contains nudity" for most of its productions).

Comments:
good luck! kick some booty! =)
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger