<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Thursday, July 22, 2004
 
I witnessed society take a step down yesterday. I went to Disneyland to get my Annual Passport renewed (the price rose to $259, and I got word that it's going to make a huge leap in price in the next year, which is insane, since Disney is already making too many dumb decisions), and then went to Innoventions to visit some friends of mine that work there.

After visiting with them, I explored Innoventions (which is filled with "futuristic" technology that's actually from about 2002), and saw a new exhibit in which you could test drive the new Segway's. In case you don't know, the Segway is that two-wheeled transport that looks like a cross between a scooter and a pogo stick. It relies on your balance to get you around (lean forward to go, lean backwards to go backwards), and makes for a surprisingly smooth, safe ride.

However, I don't think I'll get one anytime soon for the following reason. While I was standing in the line, there was a guy behind me, and he was shouting to his family about what he was in line for, and this is what he said: "You can ride the new Segway's! You know what a Segway is? You don't have to walk no more!" Those words really rung with me. "You don't have to walk no more!" We can't bother ourselves with walking anymore? I'm serious, you don't have to even use your feet to push, like with a bike or a scooter. The only thing you exercise is your left wrist when you turn yourself. So celebrate, America! You don't have to walk no more! Soon, you won't have to think no more (some would say that with the onslaught of reality television, that's already happened).

Later on that night, I went to Dave & Buster's which - being a humongous arcade with a full bar and restaurant - is a nerd's paradise. So I was playing video games galore, most of them shooting games, which is an unusual thing for me to love since I'm not a big fan of guns or violence (and for that matter, what the hell am I doing in "Assassins", where we hold real working guns).

Now, at D&B's (as the people in the business like to call it) you don't put quarters into the machines. Instead, you buy a rechargeable game card, and you swipe that at the machines. So I bought a ten dollar card, and after it was used up, returned to the bar. I spotted a card sitting at a bar, with no one to claim it. Seeing as I was the only one near it, I took it, thinking it may have had a game or two left on it. I go to swipe it at a game, only to find out that it has around 250 credits on it. That's a lot of money. I found out later that it had a collection of 1100 redeemable tickets in it (which is almost enough to get me something along the lines of a lava lamp at their ticket store). It was really cool to score something that, in that building, is of great value. However, I also felt really bad - knowing that someone worked hard and spent a great deal on that card - and that I was going to benefit from their absent-mindedness.

But I still have the card.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger