<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Thursday, June 03, 2004
 
So today I am still with job. The meeting was just to inform us that there were going to be some changes within the company. One of those changes we found yesterday was lay-offs. There's nothing like seeing people who have been here just as long or longer than you being erased from the company's memory to make you ponder your future, thinking such thoughts like, "Who the fuck is gonna pay for my Echo if I don't have a job?"

But I survived. It was unusual because a lot of other co-workers around my age got laid off, but I not only survived, but was given more responsibility. So my job is (for now, hopefully) safe. The nice thing about the nature of this business is that I don't have to worry about being stuck in the job. I'll probably get let go before I retire.

For some reason, I just thought of this time back in high school when I was being honored for Student of the Month by some Lion's Club or Kiwanis Club type or organization. It required me to attend a luncheon that they had, and the principal of the school, being a member of the club, offered to drive me. Let me tell you, it was a weird feeling seeing the head of the school, a man dressed in a nice business jacket every day pull up in a beat-up pickup truck. I'm sitting in this orange pick-up with old tapes of Crosby, Still, Nash & Young on the dash in front of me. It was a real wake-up call about the presentation of power and prestige, and the truth behind it.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger