<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Wednesday, May 05, 2004
 
I'll talk briefly about my auditions (that's not why I'm here right now). I didn't get "Equus", which is fine. It was a nice assessment of my talents, because I realized that the role was not mine to have. The characters that I specialize in playing are Hitchcockian. You know, regular guys thrown into irregular situations. A character as dark and humorless as Alan Strang requires skills that I as an actor honestly do not possess. And there were a lot of good guys there auditioning, so no harm done. My callback for the Young Playwrights Festival went well, and I'll probably hear from them in a few days.

Now, speaking of which, THE SHOWS FOR THE BLANK THEATRE'S YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!!! I freaking love this festival. They performed a play of mine a couple of years ago, and it's a phenomenol program. They choose 12 plays every year, and perform three every weekend for four weekends. All of the writers are between the ages of 13 to 19. The actors, directors, and mentors (who help the writers shape the play) are professionals who all volunteer their time to put together these shows. If you're in L.A. in the month of June and you want to see some good theatre, check it out.

I was on the selection committee to help choose the shows, and I am really excited about the line-up this year. Here are some of the highlights to look for:

"The Sandwich Conscience" by Yelena Moskovich (19 years old). This was my favorite script in the festival. It's a one-man show about a former Vietnam veteran who tries to maintain his sanity while making a sandwich. It's tense, heartbreaking, and beautifully written. This is a voice to expect great things from.

"Last Stop Downtown" by Tessa Leigh Williams (16 years old). The playing and replaying of a violent conflict on a subway. This one has great surprises, and truly scary moments. I enjoyed this script immensely.

"Anyone But Me" by Max Freedman (15 years old). A musical (remember this guy is 15) about a high school nerd who decides to form an alter ego to get chicks. This show has some of the most hilarious songs I've ever heard. It's a damn funny show.

"Rise Up" by Adam Westfall Cochran (17 years old). Speaking of musicals, this is a really fun show about a guy who is assigned to be the new Devil, and he has to return to Earth from Hell to keep Lucifer from stealing his girl. This guy is a talented writer, both with script and songs.

"Los Angeles Lullaby" by Kit Steinkellner (17 years old). Out of all of the dozens of shows I've seen and read in the YPF, no other writer is able to draw you into their world like Ms. Steinkellner does. This play is a moving, tender character-driven play. She is one that I expect to see some great writing from in the future.

"Castles Made of Sand" by David Watson (15 years old). Another really great writer in the making, and this broken home drama is proof. Mr. Watson is extraordinary in his immense ambition. I can't wait to see what he does in the years to come.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on this as time goes on.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger