<$BlogRSDURL$>
Jeremy's Ramblings, Babblings, and Other Pretentious Bullshit.
Tuesday, May 25, 2004
 
I was born in the wrong time. I needed to be in the entertainment industry in the 1930's.

I have the DVD to "It Happened One Night", and one of its special features is the original 1939 hour-long radio play of the movie (before they had television, they would recreate the movie using the original actors). Listening to it last night, it reminded me of just how great of a movie it is. If you haven't seen it, you're missing one of the greatest romantic comedies ever.

I love the world of the 1930's Hollywood. The music was sweeping but not yet epic. The actors were both sassy and whimsical, and you believed that they weren't just playing a role. The movies were a world of hitchhikers, bus rides, cruise ships, newspaper offices, songs by Gershwin and Porter, lengthy tap dance routines, fast-talking women, cigar-chomping men, and curvy "dames" who were always able to hold their own in an argument.

Of course, if I were working in the entertainment industry in the 1930's, it would be imperative that I would be making enough to not be a victim of that pesky Great Depression (damn you, Hoover!). Just as a writer/actor for radio, something like what Orson Welles did. That's where I belong.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger